This make-ahead appetizer is a holiday hit!
Mouthwatering Mini Crab Cakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound lump crab, picked over, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup light mayonnaise made with olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 5 cups whole wheat bread crumbs, divided
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs, beaten
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add crab, mayonnaise, herbs, Old Bay, mustard and 1 cup bread crumbs, stirring well to combine.
- Form mixture into 32 crab cakes.
- Place flour, eggs and remaining bread crumbs in three separate shallow bowls.
- Dip crab cakes in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in eggs, allowing excess to drip off. Dip in bread crumbs to coat.
- Set crab cakes on a greased baking sheet and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray crab cakes with olive oil.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- To freeze, place crab cakes in a single layer on a baking sheet until firm.
- Transfer crab cakes to a large freezer bag or freezer container.
- To reheat, place frozen crab cakes on a greased baking sheet in a 375° over and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through. Serve warm.
Make up to one month ahead and freeze until ready to reheat.
Yield: 32 crab cakes
Source: Make-Ahead Meals Made Healthy by Michele Borboa